Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading the secret history

If we could read the secret history
Of those we would like to punish
We would find in each life a sorrow and suffering
Enough to disarm all our hostility
                             Hendry Wadsworth Longfellow

________________________________________________


I often say
In my most irascible moment
when another has irritated me
even pushed me toward the edge of that abyss called anger
or even hate

“how would I have to be feeling to act like that?”

How indeed
out of what fear, hurt, pain, loneliness
out of what woundedness
what aching needed
did that act of anger, or greed, or jealousy emerge?

It is only recently that I have learned
to ask that question of myself

where did that act come from that I abhor in myself?

where did those words
that behavior come from

out of what fear, hurt, pain, loneliness
did that arise
for only then can I greet that wounded part of me
and enfold it
embrace it
cover it with love

only then can healing
a reconciliation happen
with that irascible
and difficult

me

No comments:

Post a Comment