Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, May 1, 2017

Bless our (little) hearts


Blessed
Blest

sometimes we think blessing
is all about showers of gooey goodness
coming down from heaven

I am so blessed we say
as we think of lovely things that have happened
a promotion
a new car
an awesome child

our vision of blessing seems involve a God (or a Jesus)
who wanders around like a deranged fairy God Mother,
wand in hand, dispensing “good things” on those who are “chosen”

but blessing is much richer and deeper than that
blessing means to “be made holy”
or better “to be set aside”

Abraham was set aside for a task
so was Peter
and Paul
so am I
so are you

being blest means
the Sacred One has given one the power – to make a difference
the responsibility to make a difference

as one blest, I have been given
love, forgiveness
I have experienced (from the Sacred) compassion
and patience, and more patience,
and then more compassion

not so I can wallow in my blessedness
and hug it to myself

but so that I can pass it on
so that I can be a blessing to those whose lives I touch
each day

wow

wow

wow!

down south
they have a saying
“Bless your little heart”
Its another way of saying
“You are an idiot but I like you and care about you so I don’t want to hurt your feelings”

The Sacred One must feel like saying that all the time
to me

I can hear her now
“Honey, why bless your little heart, but I gave you all those skills
and gifts, not just so you would prosper, although that is OK,
but so that you would help those around you”

the blessing I receive
is not just about me
the blessing you receive is not just about you

it is about the Kingdom
it is about the light

we are given love so there might be more love in the world
we are forgiven so there might be more forgiveness in the world
we are given peace so there might be more peace
we are given the Presence so there might be more God in the world

bless our little hearts

___________________________________________

In the story of Abraham, God blesses the one who was willing to leave a previous way of life for one new and unknown, saying, “I will bless you . . . and you will be a blessing.”  The meaning is that the power of blessing in conveyed to us.  The power of blessing is the power to draw more of the Light into the world, and this power is now in our hands.
                                                                                                                   Beatrice Bruteau
__________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment