Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, May 22, 2017

Essentially selfishness, not!

“Caring about the happiness of others, we find our own.”
                                                           Plato
_______________________________

I was a philosophy major once
“what is the meaning of it all”
Until my professor suggested I wasn’t quite crazy enough
To be a good philosopher

So I finished my philosophy requirements
And then moved to English
Thus major number two
“alas poor Yorick, I knew him…”

Then Theology
Not just a masters, a doctorate
“What is the nature of God, I mean really!?”

And finally Psychology
“What do you say to yourself about your self”

And through it all
As strange as it may seem
I learned one thing

It is in expending oneself
Giving  one’s self to others
That one finds the meaning of life
Finds the way to connect to others
Experiences the Sacred
And finds out who one really is

How odd it is
That it took all that schooling
To confirm what my mother said to me
Not long before my marriage

If you want to be happy
Do all you can to make the other person happy

How sad it is
That in America we have decided that if we want to be happy
We must make it all about us
We must struggle and strive
To pull stuff to ourselves

Plato knew better
Jesus knew better
So did my mom


No comments:

Post a Comment