Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Invitations to be hurt

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
                                           Mahatma Gandhi
______________________________________

There are many invitations to be hurt
They come from all directions

From family
And friends
Co-workers

They come without warning

Some of them are intentional
Most are accidently

Like texts sent without thought
Those emails one would rather get back

We can be ignored
Betrayed
Put down

Our intentions can be questioned
Our actions condemned

And we can be affronted, almost by the minute
(especially if we are on Facebook)

But we do not have to accept the invitation
Because while the invitation is about us,
It is also about them
And where they are coming from

It is about our mistakes, perhaps
Our flaw
But it is also about their hurts
Their perceptions

Oh, it is also about our perceptions
We see insult where there is none
Because we have our hurts and perceptions too

I have had bad things happen
I have had people act behind my back
Not in good faith
I have been lied about

I have my own insecurities about that
And my own fears which color my thinking
And make me quick to accept

I have also done things that justify rebuke
And accusation
That too makes me quick to accept

But in spite of all the complexities
I do not have to accept the invitation to be hurt

I can instead, take a deep breath,
Listen to what my brain is saying
And choose only that which moves me forward
Toward that which I care about

Toward kindness
And compassion
And peace
At last

No comments:

Post a Comment