Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, May 11, 2017

Terrified

“I’m not strong (said the pastor).  Not where it counts. I’d rather be heaving a canoe over slush and ice than sitting one on one with a sick and dying parishioner.  That terrifies me.” Gamache leaned forward, his voice as soft as the light.  “What scares you about it?”  “That I won’t know what to say, that I’ll let them down.  That I won’t be enough”.
                                                                        Bury Your Dead,  Louise Penny
____________________________________________________________

Trump terrifies me
What the Congress is doing to our country, terrifies me.
At times cancer terrifies me

But I am terrified every day
I may seem in control
Confident
Even casual

I may not show much on the surface
But I am terrified

That I am not enough
And so I hide inside, behind the façade
Unable at times to connect
Unable to be real

Hiding behind knowledge and competence
Terrified
That I will found out

Not that I believe failure is fatal
Or that I need to be perfect
I know I am bright, and reasonably skilled at what I do
But I also know
I have been hiding my whole life

Creating distance not closeness
Feeling it all
Not just the fear
But the affection, the concern, the compassion
The acceptance

It is just that it can’t get out
And so I am, fundamentally alone
Doing what I can to help
And helping
But still terrified
And knowing that I could be so much more
That I could help so much more
Have so much more impact

If I weren’t
terrified

No comments:

Post a Comment