Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, July 1, 2017

the gift of not knowing

“The older I grow,
the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.”
                                                                        H.L. Mencken
___________________________

I swear
The older I get, the less I know

I thought
That at some point
I would know who I am
What I’m good

I thought I would figure out
Friendship and love

At this point in life
I thought I would be sitting
Content on my porch
At peace with my self

But the older I get
The less sure I am
I did it right
The less sure I have something to offer
The less sure that I even know
What friendship and love are

My kids are doing well
But I doubt very much it’s my fault
and they live rich lives
far away

looking back I realize
I have always been an old soul
Always that odd combination of immature
And ahead of my age

The awkward kid
Gifted and successful
But not quite sure how to fit in

Still awkward
Still not sure how to fit in
Still trying to catch what cannot be caught
Still trying to earn what only comes as a gift
Still striving for that which must simply arrive,
(through openness and quietness, through an invitation of the soul)
Still outside the circle

So I sit on the porch
In an amazing place
Mountain rising, sun setting
Snow white, azure blue
Young buck wandering
Quail skittering

and yet the questions linger.
age has not brought wisdom,
just more questions

and some how,
it seems
that is just the way
it is supposed to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment