Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, August 28, 2017

What we Carry in the heart

“A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart.”
                              Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust: First Part
____________________________________________________

What do I see out there in the world?

What do I notice?

Perhaps what I see reflects the state of my own soul
Perhaps that fear I see reflects my own fear
That pain, my own pain
That anger my own anger

Or perhaps it is not what is already there
But what I fear might makes its home there

Perhaps I worry that I might become greedy
Hungry for power
A person of the lie

Its possible

It is also possible that I notice that
Which violates my soul

Because I notice the neglect of the poor
I notice the abandonment of the vulnerable
I see injustice and inequity
And hate, and prejudice

I see people violating those who cannot
Help or protect themselves

And what I hope I carry in my heart
Is a love of justice and equity
And acceptance, and generosity

What I hope lives there
At the center of who I am,
Is a desire to help and protect

Whatever is there,
I am sure some cultivation is called for,
And some weeding too!


No comments:

Post a Comment