Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, October 21, 2017

Finding Peace

It walked among the clouds today
The air was crisp,
The mountain nestled in its duvet of clouds
A few snowflakes dusted my coat

And Finn, the dog, was happy
So many sticks
So many smells

It was a time of peace

And yet my mind was not a peace
My heart was not calm
My soul was rended

every day I wake up to things that profoundly disturb me
I am tired of attacks on healthcare
Greed
An unbridled lust for power that will excuse any behavior
I am assaulted by the waves of hate that emanate
By white supremacists
And gunmen coldly killing from high places

I am tired of those who call good evil and evil good

I do not understand
The shaming of the poor
The neglect of the vulnerable

And so, I am not at peace

the other night a person, whom I value greatly
asked me, “Are you angry every day”

and my answer was “yes”
angry, and sad

And I do not quite know what to do with that
Is it OK to be angry
And when does the anger turn dangerous and destructive

I have chose to live according to the teachings of Jesus
Not the teachings of the white evangelical church, which I believe has lost its way
(or it could not embrace Trump, who is the anti-thesis of Jesus)
But the teachings of Jesus

What does that mean, in terms of how I respond to the things I see going on around me.
Jesus got angry, I think
He got angry at those who thought they owned God, and acted accordingly
He got angry, I suspect, at those who put money and power over people

But I believe that the anger of Jesus was qualitatively different from my own
Why?
Perhaps because Jesus’ anger was more fully in the context of love.
Perhaps because the anger was less about him, and more about those abused and broken
And more about the Sacred than the secular

A year ago I posted something by Thich Nhat Hanh.  That quote is relevant to my ponderings today.

“Someone asked me, “Aren’t you worried about the state of the world?” I allowed myself to breathe and then I said, “What is most important is not to allow your anxiety about what happens in the world to fill your heart. If your heart is filled with anxiety, you will get sick, and you will not be able to help.”

It is not OK, I think to ignore the state of the world
It is not OK not to be profoundly impacted when the person with the most power, belittles others
And acts like a bully
It is not OK not to care, when healthcare is taken away from the “least of these”

But, whatever response one has, must, if we take Thich Nhat Hanh, and Jesus, seriously, come out of a heart that is not dominated by anxiety, anger, hate, or fear.

It appears to me that the only solution there is
To the dilemma of how to live in a world that is going the wrong direction,
Is to fill one’s heart with the things that come from the Sacred

If one’s heart is full enough of love, hope, joy, peace, gratitude, generosity, acceptance, forgiveness, compassion, if it is full enough of Sacred, then there will be little room for hate, fear, anger, greed, and that all-consuming lust for power.

Which means
That as I walk in the snow, with happy dog bouncing around me
My mind should be stayed on
The snow flake falling, the dog dancing,
On the feel of the morning air, and the smell of the firs

And I should not be muttering to myself, about “many things”

It is not that I will not be angry
I was angry yesterday
I am angry today
And I will probably be angry tomorrow

But my hope is that my anger will be transformed
By Sacred Presence
And love

And that instead of becoming like that which I resist
Destructive, and small
Assaultive
Tearing others down

My anger will be transformed by grace
Into listening
And gentleness
So that I can overcome evil, not with evil

But with good

No comments:

Post a Comment