Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, October 23, 2017

it is enough

“To do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing,
to contemplate the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man's life.”
               T.S. Eliot, The Use of Poetry and the Use of Criticism
__________________________________________________

when the road behind stretches long
and the road ahead is short

one cannot help but wonder
about enough

have I done enough?
loved enough
served enough
said enough
accomplished enough

what makes a life anyway
Jesus tells us that we are to make heaven happen

What does that even mean?
I can think of many ways of grading my life

Money earned
Titles obtained
Degrees awarded
Good behaviors
Bad behaviors (oh oh)
People loved
People who love me back (hmmm)

It’s a trap
This thinking that we can measure our lives
On a scale from 1 to 10

Its really not that difficult
Have you done something useful?
Useful is useful
Almost everyone can be (and is) useful
And the person who stocks the shelves in my local store
Is just as useful as a member of congress (perhaps more so)

Have you said something courageous?
This can be so many things!
It can be “I love you”
It can be “I am hurting”
It can be, “I’m sorry, but I think that is wrong”

Courageous can be confrontation,
But it can also be openness

Finally it means one takes the time
To stop, to breathe, to be in the moment, and to
contemplate the beautiful thing”

Ah so easy
A mothers love is a beautiful thing
The mountain on a sunny morning
Fresh now
Autum colors

All beautiful

Compassion is beautiful, judgement is not
Love is beautiful, hate is not

We can sort it out
And set our minds on “beautiful things”
Refusing to wallow in
Unprecedential tweets
Refusing to focus on the hate on Facebook

We can go for a walk
Look at the mountain
Listen to the owl

Ah
These simple things are enough for one’s life

I’ve done enough
I’ve done enough

So have you

No comments:

Post a Comment