Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, November 19, 2017

only possibility

“The magic of each day lives in the unknown. It's waking up as one person, and accepting that when night falls, we may be someone else entirely. So, when you ask what my story is, forgive me----I'm not quite sure yet.”
                                                           J. Raymond
____________________________________

this day I wake up
a little tired still
with a body that chastises for me all the years
of abuse and neglect

happy dog
is panting to hit the road
even though the road is yet unseen

in the profound darkness of late fall

the windows of the house star at me
black and empty
as I wander, and ponder
and wait for the light to come

I do not know what this day will bring
Oh, I know what is on my calendar
but life is not defined by the expected
but the unexpected

today I will have many choices
but they are scattered in front of me like the breadcrumbs scattered wildly
by a demented God

and I am often lost and confused

I have made enough poor choices to last a lifetime,
And beyond

people will come and go
news articles will appear on my computer
the phone will ring

and at the end of the day
I may well feel like a painting whose
Creator cannot leave well enough along

Sometimes, lately
The pondering has led to sadness
For things lost
For mistakes made
For friendships lost
For paths abandoned

and yet
it is this fact that I am constantly dying
and constantly becoming
that gives me hope

even now
for each moment where something is lost
becomes a moment of infinite possibility

no path is set
nothing is inevitable

the lonely grasping person
can find a sense of people
and get outside himself to notice, and focus others

the fearful person can find peace
the greedy person generosity
the cruel person, compassion

so often we fuse to our stories
but each story has not only a beginning
but an end

and in the freshness that is this moment
we seek to make the next right choice
and we begin again

For life changes
Our story changes
We change

Each day, each moment

We have no permanence
Only possibility


No comments:

Post a Comment