Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, November 22, 2017

What do I value?

Two questions have been haunting me lately
hanging around my head
going on my morning walks
joining me in my bed

ruining my morning soak

But they are good questions

The first question is this…
What do I value?

Not what are my goals?
Not what do I want to accomplish with my life
But what are the values that get me up in the morning
And take me through my day

What are the values that craft the direction of my life?

I have a value set by my family
Service
Kliewers serve.  Period.  End of conversation
It just is.
Ministers, Doctors, Therapists
Serve your community!  That is why you are here

But who can exclude love
My faith system demands that
That crazy, foolish way of being taught
by some guy named Jesus

love
love God
Love your self
And love the people around you

Accept love
Nurture love
Be love

Actually most of what I value gets captured
In that thing called love
Compassion, generosity, connection
Kindness, all the standards
So I have to come up with something else….
And I chose
Authenticity

Being real
Being honest… to God
To myself, and to….. you

Hard to do when you think  you have to be perfect
An accomplisher
When you constantly compare, compare, compare
Strive strive strive

Under you are not a fool for Christ’s sake
But just a damn fool

But still
There they are
Service, love, authenticity

Serving the people, all people, in love?

Ah but there is more
So much more

Because the second question is important too
Am I living toward what I value?

The answer is often yes, sometimes no

But here is the thing… my values path is not a straight line from A to B
It is a direction, nothing more
I am moving toward a destination I will never get to

What is important is that I keep moving
And I keep moving the right direction

Sometimes I’ll get lost, at others I’ll get stuck
But I will keep heading
Down that path

Toward that compass point that is
Service, love, and authenticity

And when I fail?
With I slip and slide into strange and sometimes dark place

I will simply pull out my values
Dust them off
And begin again.


No comments:

Post a Comment