Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, January 27, 2018

Wonder

“I don’t trust a theologian who dismisses the beauty of science or a scientist who doesn’t believe in the power of mystery.”
                              Brené Brown, Rising Strong
______________________________________________

The Bible says this world was a divine creation
not a matter of accident

that creative genius spoke
and the world came to be

Mystery

Science suggests that the world
Was the culmination of many things
That can explained
Coming together
In just the right way

That all the currently observed matter and energy in the universe
were initially condensed in a very small and infinitely hot mass.

The BANG
And matter and energy expanding in all directions.
And in that expanding
earth, and eventually us

honestly?
I believe them both
I don’t care how that mystery that is the Sacred did it
I just believe that behind it all is something, some power
I call it “God” for lack of a better way of saying it
We could call it love

I know when I look at the mountain soaring
See the clouds drifting in a startling blue sky
Watch the snow fall
See the deer sneak
And the birds soar

That there are explanations
That sciences can take it all apart
At least to a certain degree, and explain how it works

But that doesn’t destroy for me
The mystery
It doesn’t take the Holy out of the equation

All of intricacies science helps us understand
does not destroy my sense of wonder and awe
and all the medical science in the world
which can take my body apart down to the cells

does not destroy my belief
that I am fearfully and wonderfully made

Go outside this morning
Look at the sun rising
Watch the bird fly
Experience the movement of your own body
Look into the eyes of a child

And the truth will rattle around not only inside your skull
But inside your heart

there is no war between science and theology
they both simply remind us how much
we do not know or understand

and leave us
in
wonder





No comments:

Post a Comment