Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, March 11, 2018

hate doesn't work

“Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals. Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning. They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they’ll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love they will break down under the load. That’s love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies. (from "Loving Your Enemies")”
                                           Martin Luther King Jr., A Knock at Midnight
________________________________________________

Love your enemies
Really?

I mean who does that?
Who can do that?

I’ve tried
God knows I’ve tried
I’ve tried to love that person who lied about me
That person who cost me a job
That person who attacked me in order to promote themselves.

I’ve tried to love that person
Who abuses others
Exploits others

That one who is greedy, and hateful
Angry and violent

That one who lies, and lies, and lies again

Sometimes I can do it
But oh, how I want them to respond
After all, my feeble one time effort should totally change them, right?

Not

Love is patient
I hate that
That need to love, and love, and love and love
And keep loving even when the lies keep coming
Even when the behavior continues

That need to love even when one is attacked for loving
Or considered week
Or foolish
Or stupid

Even who love results in anger and rejection

Is it really true that love wins?
Is love truly redemptive?

Could the weight of love
Individual love, collective love

Bend history?
Could love change me, from the insecure person I am
(yes I know I am 66 and have pretty much been successful, but still…..)
Into a person who believes in himself.

Could love make Trump compassionate?
Could love stop racism?
Or calm fear

Could love make us generous?
Or kind?

I don’t’ know

But it seems like it’s worth a try
Because it is all too clear

That hate and violence
Don’t work

No comments:

Post a Comment