Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, March 22, 2018

I am


When Akiba was on his deathbed, he bemoaned to his rabbi that he felt he was a failure. His rabbi moved closer and asked why, and Akiba confessed that he had not lived a life like Moses. The poor man began to cry, admitting that he feared God's judgment. At this, his rabbi leaned into his ear and whispered gently, “God will not judge Akiba for not being Moses. God will judge Akiba for not being Akiba.”
                                                                        From the Talmud
__________________________________________________

The Sacred only asks one thing from us
That we be who we are

That we be the unique special
Carrier of the Sacred
We were created to be

I cannot believe I am merely an accident of history
The result of random history
Of casual couplings

There is a mystery in all this
Something mystical
About my presence

I am
I am here
I am here now

In this time and in this place
For a reason I might well never understand

But for a reason

And that reason is nothing more
Than to do the best I can with the gifts I have been given

To do my best
Knowing that I will fail and succeed
Be weak and strong
Wise and foolish
Calm and anxious

Do my best to be me
Allowing that the Sacred Presence
Which makes me “me”
To guide me
Empower me
And define me…

I will not be a Moses
I will definitely not be a Jesus
But perhaps I can be
Stephen

Child of God

No comments:

Post a Comment