Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, April 30, 2018

ego


“Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty.”
― John Lennon

“The ego is the false self-born out of fear and defensiveness.”
― John O'Donohue, Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
____________________________________________________________________


There are times that I suffer
If truth be told, most of the time
I create my own suffering

Or rather, my ego does

The ego is that part of me that wants to be significant,
important by itself
unique
powerful
separate and superior.

I notice the ego asks a lot of questions!
Am I enough?
Am I safe?
Am I important?
Am I noticed?
Am I valued, appreciated, respected?
Do people like me?
Find me attractive (or even sexy)?
Do people see me as competent, and effective

There are problems with the ego
It is fragile, always being insulted

And always, it seems, it is defensive and self-protective

It can’t help itself

When I am upset about how someone has treated me
Ego
When I am worried about how I am coming across
Ego
When I see slights everywhere
Ego
When I believe people are evaluating, judging me
Ego

So much of my fear
My sense of being rejected
My anger
My indignation
Comes from my ego

Perhaps
Instead of believing my identity and worth
Are based upon whether I am tall enough, thin enough
Handsome enough, rich enough
Successful enough
Powerful enough
Admired enough
Respected enough
Valued enough

I just realize that my value is inherent
That I do not have to be defined by those things

Perhaps what I need to remember
Is that I am a broken and blessed Child of God
One God values so much that God draws near
And claims me as God’s own

Child of God
Child of God
Child of God

Perhaps that awareness is all that I need

“All great spirituality teaches about letting go of what you don’t need and who you are not. Then, when you can get little enough and naked enough and poor enough, you’ll find that the little place where you really are is ironically more than enough and is all that you need. At that place, you will have nothing to prove to anybody and nothing to protect.  That place is called freedom. It’s the freedom of the children of God. Such people can connect with everybody. They don’t feel the need to eliminate anybody . . .”
(Richard Rohr, Healing Our Violence through the Journey of Centering Prayer)

And perhaps, secure in being loved
Perhaps, being free
I won’t have to suffer
At my own hands

No comments:

Post a Comment