Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, May 4, 2018

Allargando of the soul


“Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.”  (Chief Seattle)

___________________

A wise teacher once told me
“you can never do just one thing”

Every action has consequences
Every life has consequences

Every life, with its actions
Good and bad
Is part of the fabric of life
(to mix metaphors, something my English teacher warned me against
              I’ll face the consequences)
A thread which can hold the fabric together,
And make it whole
A which can pull apart
And unravel and threaten the whole

“Me First”
“America First”
“Business First”

These are words which reminds us that all too often
We do not take seriously our connectedness
In our pursuit of power or wealth
Safety and security

We are willing to forget that we are part of a greater whole
The US is one nation among many
I am one person among many
I am one race among many
I am one gender among a variety of identities

I cannot, blindly
Insist on what benefits me,
Without first considering what benefits those around me
More
What benefits the entire fabric that is creation?

Not just my people, all people
Not just people, all creatures, insects, birds, snakes, mammals, fish, all
All trees, and grasses and flowers
The air, the water, the earth itself

All

Does what I want, does what I do
Help or hinder,
Heal or harm?

Perhaps we need a little allargando of the soul
A slowing, a broadening
A swelling of the spirit
That reminds us of that larger Truth,
That draws us into the song of Love

That we are called to sing
At the top of our lungs



No comments:

Post a Comment