Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, May 23, 2018

That's my child


“I believe that appreciation is a holy thing--that when we look for what's best in a person we happen to be with at the moment, we're doing what God does all the time. So in loving and appreciating our neighbor, we're participating in something sacred.”
                                                                                                    Fred Rogers
__________________________________________________________

I don’t believe God is a man
Or a Woman

I think we make a mistake, at some profound level
When we anthropomorphize God

We make God too small

God becomes something contained, limited
Rooted in time and space
God becomes mine, and not yours
God is for me, and not you

It is better to think of God as bigger
Broader
Less definable
After all, who can define infinity, really?

And yet images can be helpful
And I love the image of God a Parent
And image which gambols through the pages of the sacred texts

Not just a parent, a good parent
A doting parent

I love the idea that God
Looks upon these strange creatures called humans
And see them with the eyes of delight

Knowing the worst
But believing the best
Hoping against hope, that we will grow up
Into the divine image

But most of all I like the idea that echoing through
The darkness of failure
And the haze of uncertainty
Echoing down through the immensity of eternity

I can hear the voice of One who loves me
Saying

“Hey, that’s my kid!”

Sacred Child

I like the idea, although it torment me at times
As I am sure it does Sacred
That the same voice says the same thing
About every person who on this fine spring day

Takes a breathe
And feels their heart beat

Yes, every person
Sacred may say it with sadness in some cases
And with all the hopelessness of a parent watching a child
Make choices he or she abhors

But God says it, nonetheless

With appreciation
For what was, what is (at times)
And for what may yet be


No comments:

Post a Comment