Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, December 7, 2018

Saying "yes"


“Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:
- I shall not fear anyone on Earth.
- I shall fear only God.
- I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.
- I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.
- I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
 Mahatma Gandhi
______________________________________

I see pictures of children cowering
Shivering under space blankets in a warehouse

I see pictures of mothers and children running
Terror etched in their faces
As tear gas billows and roils

I see a young black man, face down on the street
Gunned down by the police
Although unarmed

I see people with wealth and power and privilege
Plotting to grasp even more
By cutting services for the vulnerable in our midst

I see preachers celebrating the ascendance of evil
Shouting praise for one who violates the way of the God
They pretend to serve

I hear lie after lie after lie
Delivered with a smirk
And accepted as truth

What can I do?
What can any of us do?

I can be a sacred child
I can live out my divine DNA

Having embraced LOVE
Having experienced that reality we call God
I shall strive
To live not in fear
To do no harm
To insist on justice
To conquer “conquer untruth by truth”

No matter what it costs

I have no illusion that I will always be right
I am not foolish enough to deny my own limitations and failings
I will be wrong at times
Vulnerable at times
Probably an asshole at times

But I will do what I can
To follow the way of Christ
And carry the sacred in my flesh
In my words
In my deeds

I can “Yes” to God

Yes, I can be awake to the sacred which is woven into my being
Yes, I can embrace the teaching of a man named Jesus
Yes, I can pray
Yes, I can give
Yes, I can listen

I can do this
Each and every day

No comments:

Post a Comment