Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, January 11, 2019

such wild love


Have you ever seen
anything
in your life
more wonderful

than the way the sun,
every evening,
relaxed and easy,
floats toward the horizon

and into the clouds or the hills,
or the rumpled seas,
and is gone –
and how it slides again

out of the blackness, every morning,
on the other side of the world,
like a red flower

streaming upward on its heavenly oils
say on a morning in early summer,
at its perfect imperial distance –
and you have ever felt for anything

such wild love –
do you think there is anywhere, in any language,
a word billowing enough
for the pleasure
that fills you,
as the sun
reaches out,
as it warms you

as you stand there,
empty handed –
or have you too
turned from this world –

or have you too
gone crazy
for power,
for things?
                                    Mary Oliver   New and Selected Poems, p 50,51
____________________________________


I think I must be
solar powered

each morning when I rise
I do not fully come alive
until the sun rises

I wait in expectation for that moment
when the sun peaks over the seven devils
or peeks through the clouds

red, orange, pink
the colors of passion set my heart aflame

and I walk, I walk, I walk
mouth agape
foolish
stunned

by the enormity of what I see unfold
in the twirling clouds
or naked sky

and I feel such “wild love”
as my heart set free
opens to the light
to life
to love

too soon too soon
the light fades
and I am left
on just another gravel road
with just another day
stretching before me

and I return to that world where empty people
tweet hate and fear,
and chase after power
and money

seeking that moment
when they finally come alive

yet the sun remains
and I carry it with me
back into my day

and so too I carry the Spirit
the warm presence of another light
which comes down
and fills my soul
warming and glorious,
and stays

and I feel such a wild love

Veni, Sancte Spiritus
come


No comments:

Post a Comment