Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hope

It has been an interesting evening. I started out working on a new theme for the Kergyma class I teach at my church. The theme? "God's people have hope."

I then heard the news that in today's election the people Massachusetts voted in a Mr. Brown as the Senator to replace Kennedy. I have heard this man intimate that Obama was born illegitimately. I have heard him say things show he is a person of small character. And enough to know that he holds fast to the attitudes and policies of the GOP Party that lead American into this recession. Why after 8 years of allowing a party to drive us into turmoil, polarization, and fear, the people do not give Obama and his party more than one year to turn around is beyond logic. It shows that Americans are totally willing to buy into the ideology of hatred, fear and self-centeredness if they think it will benefit them personally. This is the mark of a fallen culture, a culture on the way out. And suddenly, although I was working on a lesson about hope, I lost hope.

I said in my heart, "I am done!" There is no sense trying. No sense working for the good. No sense working for community, if Americans are going to be this way.

Why bother to work for a non-profit? Americans will vote to strip away the funding that supports our work. Why bother to preach the gospel? People go against the teachings of Jesus, while at the same time claiming to uphold "Christianity." Why bother to do anything?

A little later I started to read a delightful little book, Grace (Eventually). Thoughts on Faith. In this book Anne Lamont talks about many things. And surprise! In the first essay, as she is talking about humiliating herself on the ski slopes, she writes these words. "Rumi said, 'Someone fills the cup in front of us.' I know that when I call out, God will be near, and hear, and help, eventually. Of course it is the 'eventually' that throws one into despair. For instance even now, I know America will be restored again, eventually, although it is hard to envision this at the moment, and it could take a century or more for the nation and the world to recover from the George W. Bush years. But they will. God always hears our cries, and helps, and it's always a surprise to see what form God will take on earth."

OK, I am still not there. I am still looking for hope. But I was reminded that God's other name is surprise. And that God can restore "what the locust has eaten" (Joel 2). So I will try to stay open for God's surprise, even though it feels like I am in a dry and weary land where there is no water (or hope) - Psalm 63.

No comments:

Post a Comment