Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, June 4, 2010

Back to School

In my last blog I responded to some comments passed on to me from a Sunday School class.  It related to "God's Plan."  This week there is more fun ahead, as the class is going to explore how to know God's plan, and follow God's plan.

I have to admit I once again find myself questioning.  Implied in the way the issue is framed is the idea that God has a very specific plan for each of us, and we are to follow that plan, or else!  Or else what?  Be punished.  Experience a horrible life?  Disappoint God?  Lose God's love?

It's hard to tell.  Let me say right off that I think it is almost impossible for us to disappoint God.  Do you think God doesn't know what we are like?  That our propensity for bad decisions, and willfulness are unknown?

And than leads me to my next thought.  I think God is the great innovator.  OK, maybe God does have a plan for us.  But almost from the moment we draw a breath that plan is not happening.  Our parents mess it up.  Then we mess it up.  What other people do, you might say history messes it up.  But mostly it is us.  We are after all children.  And children are strong willed and rebellious.  It is almost as if it is the job of children to frustrate the plans and intentions of their parents.

So there we are, the children of God.  Going through life, stumbling alone.  Sometimes making good choices, sometimes poor choices.  And God?  Well God is walking along with us.  Truly with us.  Experiencing everything we experience.  Feeling our hurt, our joy, our hope, our despair.  And being the GREAT INNOVATOR!

I think God is always having to innovate.  God takes what we offer.  Good, bad or indifferent, and works with us to make the best thing possible occur from that offering.  That takes innovation and amazing creativity.  And so we go from Plan A to Plan B to ... well, how many letters are there in the alphabet?  Not nearly enough

But for that me that is the most incredible gift.  That God does not give up on me, but stays with me and works with me each step of my life.  Never gives up!  Always works with me, to make things work together for God.

Can we know God's plan?  Probably not, it may well be always changing.  Can we follow God's plan?  Perhaps, momentarily, yes.  Does that mean we freeze?  Never.  God wants us moving.  God would rather have us moving and making mistakes, that sitting still going nowhere.  As one old Irish rancher once told me.  "It is a lot easier for God to change your direction if you are moving, than it is for for him to get you off your butt if you are sitting still."

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment