Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, October 29, 2023

Faith and politics

My faith can drive to me to be (gasp) political

I am not by nature interested in the necessary structures that order our life together

But I respect the power of our systems

For good or for ill

 

And I respect the fact that my faith should shape my choices

About what I support

And who I vote for

 

It's not a simple matter

We can easily ignore faith, tear it in an unnatural way from faith

Separate faith and our political stances to the point

We ignore the very tenants of our faith in our political choices

 

Or we can blend them together in such a way

That our faith does indeed shape our political choices

 

And the problem is this

Faith should impact our relationship with the systems of power

And should shape how we approach them

 

And both separating our faith from our politics

And merging our faith and our politics

Can lead to the same toxic place

 

If we ignore faith we can embrace wealth and power

(after all, Mary wasn’t serious when she predicted that Jesus would bring low the mighty)

But if we merge faith with our politics, the expediencies of power

Can end up conquering our faith (not the other way around)

 

It seems we must make these assertions.

We cannot allow politics to use our faith

(as is happening with the American right, where bad people manipulate people of faith and get them to support things decidedly not Jesus).

 

But we must engage in politics from the perspective of faith

Faith in what?

 

A friend posted this quote

America doesn’t need Republicans

It doesn’t need Democrats

It needs Jesus

 

Sounds good! Right?

But which Jesus?

The Jesus of the American right, who is about power and wealth

About winning and controlling

About coercion and punishment?

 

That is a Jesus who has been re-created in the image of toxic individualism

And greed

And dominance

 

That is a Jesus who listened to the tempter in the wilderness before his ministry started

And coopted the systems of power of his day

To become “King” 

Who took over the Sanhedrin, collaborated with the Pharisees

And somehow made the Romans his tools.

 

But that is not the Jesus who came

That is not the suffering servant who, as Isaiah reminds us

‘was so marred, beyond human semblance… that we should look at him…

He was despised and rejected…”

 

This is the Jesus of Mary

(I am so glad I am related to Jesus on his mother’s side)

The Jesus who stood against the politically powerful

Stood against a misguided faith system that burdened and excluded

And did not welcome and affirm all

 

The Jesus who came was about love

About taking care of the vulnerable

Comforting the hurting (and afflicting the comfortable?)

Healing the wounded

 

Jesus came bringing love

He died speaking words of love (Father forgive them)

And the rule of Jesus thus will always be about love

Not about controlling women

Sending people to hell

Taking over political power (as our current Speaker of the House would like to do)

In the “name of Jesus.”

 

Using faith as a political pawn

 

Even what is called the “Second Coming” is about love

As Madeleine L’Engle puts it

“The Second Coming is an action of Love.  The judgment of God is the judgment of love, not of powerplays, vindication, or hate.  The Second Coming is the redemption of the entire cosmos, not just one small planet.”

 

Or as Paul puts it,

The creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God… the creation itself will be set from its bondage of decay and obtain the glorious liberty of the children of God” (Romans)

 

For me then, my politics must always be guided by love

Not about power

Not about control

Not about retribution

Not about hate

Not about (even) winning

 

So I ask these questions when I make my choices

Who is functioning from the perspective of love?

Who is taking care of the vulnerable

Whose policies are more about the “common good” than about privilege

 

I can’t make my decisions based solely on my

My power and privilege

My bank account or retirement account

My comfort

 

Who takes care of the poor

Who supports food security

Who promotes peace

Who is willing to fight for gun control

Who is looking out for the planet

Who is about welcoming the stranger (functional immigration policies)

 

That is the person I am going to support

That is the person I am going to vote for

 

No

No one does it totally right

(Sadly such a person could never get elected in America)

 

But who leans toward love and compassion

Who leans away from coercion and retribution

Who leans toward the common good

Who leans away from economic inequity

Who protects the planet (which is an incarnation of God)

Who is not willing to plunder it for profit

 

The GOP is antithetical to most of my values

They would benefit me.  I am white and reasonably well-off

My retirement is not at its best right now

But

 

People are hurting

And that should not be

We have enough wealth to take care of all

But not enough to satisfy the greed of the wealthy and those on the right

 

The Democrats fall far, far short as well

 

There is no one (especially no politician?) who really lives out a faith in the

Jesus who emptied himself and gave everything for everyone

 

So I will go with those whose policies, words, and actions best fit my faith

However imperfectly

And speak out against those who clearly do not

Those are greedy, liars, cruel, hypocritical

 

People ask me why I a liberal politically

That is why

 

I simply do my best to let the Jesus of the cross

The Jesus who welcomed all

The Jesus who forgave and healed and fed the strugglers

Shape my agenda

And determine who I support

 

Knowing I will sometimes be wrong

But believing that I must side with love.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment