Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, February 9, 2012

A roadmap for life

Many many many many years ago I was part of a singing group at Whitman College called "the New Freedom Singers"  Back in those days the contemporary Christian music "thing" was just emerging, and in our group, as well as at the Seeker meetings on campus we would sing some of the "new stuff."

This past week, as I have dealt with some difficult things, including the death of my wonderful Brother-In-Law Dan, one particular song has kept drifting through my head.  We sang this song a lot in those days.  And I hadn't thought of it for a long time.  

But it has wandered uninvited, but not unwelcome, into my mind a lot this past week.  The words go like this.
 I am the Light of the World
You people come and follow me.
If you follow and love, You'll learn the mystery
Of what you were meant to do and be.


1. When the song of the angels is stilled.
When the star in the sky is gone.
When the kings and the shepherds have found their way home.
The work of Christmas is begun!

2. To find the lost and lonely one,
To heal that broken soul with love,
To feed the hungry children with warmth and good food,
To feel the earth below the sky above!

3. To free the prisoner from his chains,
To make the powerful care,
To rebuild the nations with strength and goodwill,
To call a man your brother everywhere.

4. To bring hope to every task you do,
To dance at a baby's new birth,
To make music in an old man's heart,
And sing to the colors of the earth!

Maybe, if I were running a political campaign, this was be my theme song.
But I do know that there is great hope in the idea, that as I connect with God, as I find the God in me
I will understand ever more clearly who I am meant to be (that is always a puzzle to me), and what I am meant to do (I am also clueless there).  And I do know that I appreciate the clear map presented here.  i am to try, as best I can, to find, and heal, and feed, and free.  I am called to bring hope, to make music, and sing!


No comments:

Post a Comment