Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Stumbling

W.H. Auden once wrote, "We would rather be ruined than changed.  We would rather die in our dread than climb the cross of the present and let our illusions die."
Soon or later, as we walk down the path of life,
We hit a stumbling stone
I have stumbled more than my fair share.
a stumbling block is some event
some hurt
some disappointment
some loss
that you simply can't deal with....
at least not with the resources you have available
her
now
not enough love
or strength
or hope
no tools for doing the job
such moments can freeze us,
cause us to shut down
or anguish us
bringing tears that we simply cannot deny
they can anger us
generating hate, or merely a violence in the soul
this week I have faced
personal loss
I have lived in the shadow of death with people I love
I have seen fear and confusion in the presence of an illness
I have struggled with my own limitations
as a man
a person who is in leadership
a person who wants to be, but so often is not, what he wants to be
I have hard decisions to make
and fears about decisions already made
I am stumbling
and what I want most to do is fall
and stay
there in the dust of the road
I want to quit, and let the tears roll
but is suspect
that this falling
that all the losing, failing, fearing
are part of the process
of growth

they are part of the journey
home

it is when we are lead to the limits of our current game plan
our current resources
and find them to be
not enough

that we reach out and seek
that we become open to
the real source
the deep well
the constantly flowing stream

Lord
Help me to pick myself up
Out of the dust
And drink

______________________________________________________
 
Isa 35:5-7:  Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped.
6 Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy.
Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert.
7 The burning sand will become a pool, the thirsty ground bubbling springs.

2 comments:

  1. Please continue the blog. I look forward to reading it whenever it appears. It has a lot of substance and meaning to me. The poetry is quite beautiful and the narratives enlightening. Many years ago I attended Dodge City Presbyterian Church and worked in the public library there. So I recognized the name when I ran across the blog several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Dodge City, and Spearville. A great time of learning for me. Thanks for reminding me of those times.

    ReplyDelete