Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, January 18, 2023

tripping in the dark

the day began

with me tripping in the dark

one step, two

toe meets German Shepherd

curled up on the floor, all 100 pounds minding his own business

wanting only to be close

 

some days are like that

this day is like that

my body is weird today

uncomfortable in its own skin

unhappy and telling me

 

the day continued with me tripping in the dark

Loki the cat pawing at the window

let me in!

and then, one step, two

foot meets Shu

who offended yowls her protest at my carelessness

 

some days are like that

tripping in the dark

tripping over cats and dogs

tripping over pain and distress

anger and fear

tripping over those others who land in our path

on our Facebook page

in the news

 

it shakes us out of our complacency

as heart racing arms flailing we seek equilibrium

 

as if one can ever find balance

just rest in God, some say

but often I am tripping over God

stumbling as I experience the radicality of the Gospel

 

as I think about how Jesus challenges everything

I am unbalanced, careening through the dark

trying to find my balance as I stumble toward that light

what is clean or unclean

what is holy or unholy

sacred and profane

loving and unloving

 

what does welcome really look like?

do I really have to love my enemies?

is it really possible to overcome evil with good?

 

it is not easy, this life!

just one day, I cry, I would like to feel peace

just one day I would like the pain to go away

 

but thank you, Beloved

thank you for those things in my path

over which I stumble

 

which rouse me out of my reverie

which way me up

which make me struggle and fight

to stay standing

 

thank you

for I need to look where my feet lead me

I need to stop, sometimes, in my headlong rush

and stop

heart pounding, face flushed

mind racing

and pay attention

good morning, Finn, greetings Shu, and Sofi

Tiger Lilly and Lady, and all the girls (my hens)

 

good morning world

good morning Jesus

good morning to all I will meet

 

how are you today?

are you well?

you are loved!

welcome to this day

No comments:

Post a Comment