Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, August 21, 2023

Keep it simple

Today I sit and stare

At nothing

 

On the screen in front of me is a

New document

 

The empty whiteness screaming at me

Brash and demanding!

 

Write something, anything

 

Outside my window, all is empty blackness

The dark of stormy mornings

Where darkness rules

 

I have nothing profound to say

No thoughts that are new

 

I have been on this journey will call life for a long time

It has been a journey populated by people

Good and bad

 

It has been a journey of twists and turns

Successes and failures

I have been praised and vilified

I have been lost and found

Or rather I have lost and found myself

 

I have sought to understand the really real

What some call God

Or El

Or Sacred

 

I have read, studied, and reflected

I have earned two Master's degrees and a Doctorate

 

I have immersed myself in philosophy, theology, and psychology

 

And yet as I sit here this morning

Staring at nothing

This truth emerges

 

That whatever else the really real is

It is a mystery

 

I cannot claim to be a good mystic

I love certitude far too much for that.

 

But I have come to understand that what is real

What is love

What is life

What is all

 

Cannot be contained in books

Especially not one book

 

There are no hard edges

The really real is beyond us

It is that which cannot be defined

 

And yet

What is really real can be encountered

Experienced

Even to some degree lived

 

It is best found not in creeds

Or systematic theologies

Our attempts to capture the wind

 

It is best found in the simple things

In the wind in the trees

In the smile of a child

In the beauty of a doe with her fawns

In the freshness of the rain

 

And it is best explained

Simply

 

Love is

We are loved by Love

We carry Love in us

The more room we give for Love within us

The more Love fills us

The more we are filled with Love, the more we can love ourselves in a healthy way

And the more love fills us the less room there is for that which is not love

The more we are filled with Love, the more we can love those around us

 

And the more the world is filled with Love, the more it is how it was meant to be.

 

(replace the word Love with God, it still works!  We can “God” each other.  Sadly we can replace the word Love with Hate as well, and it still works -  try it)

 

Simple

Mysterious

Mystical                       

 

Something we can understand

And yet never fully understand

 

There are no new truths

Only simple truths that make us new


No comments:

Post a Comment