Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Always new

“The world for which you have been so carefully prepared is being taken away from you,' he said, 'by the grace of God.' (Walter Brueggemann)”

― Barbara Brown Taylor, Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith

_________________________________________________

 

I tried so hard

to plan my life

 

my days and weeks

and years

unfolded according to plans

 

thought out

documented

codified on calendars

carved into my brain

and into my heart

 

and then

it all unraveled

 

life is full of surprises

life changes

shit happens

 

by the grace of God

 

not that God orchestrates what happens – oh no

God does not need my help in that regard!

 

it is all too often my own foolishness

or the foolishness of others

that creates the chaos

 

but the Sacred Presence I carry within

Spirit (with capital S)

It is that which creates

(as it always has)

new worlds out of my worlds

 

that is how this story goes

 

the advent of Jesus was a point of change

a glimmer of hope in the darkness

and Christ advents again and again

each day

in each heart

 

ready or not

open or not

where there is room or not

 

new beginnings

galore

 

by the grace of God

 

__________________________________

 

Some historical notes:

I was a “hot shot” Presbyterian Pastor

big church and everything

successful outside I was a mess inside, and

I screwed up

 

God created a new direction with Northwest Medical Teams

one of the richest experiences of my life

helping the poorest of the poor

people hammered by disaster

 

I left NWMTI to go to a program that was a disaster (and will remain unnamed)

only to land, because of contacts made there

with Oregon Health Science University

and the amazing Department of Family Medicine

another Godwink

 

then

surprise, a decision

made while on a trip to Baku, Azerbaijan

(OHSU gave me such great opportunities)

 

to head to Wallowa County

where I got a job in a field I knew little about

another degree, and 13 years of developing a great progressive program

 

Then my side gig became my main gig

Temporary supply pastor (I have now been there 16 years)

Then Stated Clerk, and the Executive Presbyter of a Presbytery

 

What’s next?  Who knows (even at 72)

 

Blessings my friends

Never give up

Never quit

There is a new world coming


No comments:

Post a Comment