Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, December 8, 2023

fill me

One of my favorite stories is about the Pentecostal man who had a little trouble living an exemplary life. In fact, he was a mess.  He lied.  He drank too much.  He cheated.  His “sins” were many.

 

But every week, as behaviorally challenged as he was, he came to worship.

And every week he listened to the sermon

And every week he was convicted

And every week he answered the altar call and would go down front to confess and be renewed

 

As he made the trek down the aisle to the front of the church, where the pastor was waiting he would often chant, ”Fill me Jesus, Fill me.  Fill me Jesus fill me”

 

Finally, one week, one of the women in the congregation could deal with it no longer.  As he chanted “Fill me Jesus fill me: she shouted “Don’t do it, Jesus, he leaks”

 

The fact is

We all leak.

 

We can’t help ourselves

We are all a bit cracked (2 Corinthians 4)

And whatever fills us

Whatever is there at the center of who we are,

Oozes out of us

 

One way or another

In our words, attitudes, priorities, values, and actions.

 

My mother used to say “Garbage in, garbage out”

She had a point.

What we consume as food matters

What we consume emotionally, intellectually, spiritually

Matters

 

So we have to be careful what we consume

We have to pay attention to what we are being fed

The proof of what we are devouring is in the living

 

Who am I allowing to fill my plate?

What are they putting on my plate?

What am I eating?

 

What am I getting from my political idols?

When I listen to them speak, am I moved to be a person of love?

Or am I filled with a lust for domination and retribution?

Am I encouraged to be a better person?  Or am I dragged into the realm of hate and fear?

 

What am I getting from my church? (or in my case, what am I dispensing)

Am I helping people to forgive, accept, welcome, value others, ALL others?

Am I helping them to see other people as children of God?

 

What is the “fruit” of those times spent on the computer, watching TV, or even reading?

 

I’ll know by looking honestly at what leaks out of me!

Is it love?  Kindness? Patience? Generosity? Welcome?

Or is it anger? Hate? Judgement? Even cruelty?

 

A friend of mine, a truck driver, posted a meme on Facebook

It was a picture of a diesel engine.  The captions said.

If there is no oil under it, there is no oil in it.

 

Today, as I enter into yet another day,

In a world filled with strife and hate

A country divided

 

My fervent hope is that I will be filled with Jesus

Filled with love

That I will choose wisely what I consume!

 

And yes, I truly do hope that I leak!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment