Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, February 10, 2024

Finding the words

If I can find the words in my mind

The words could explain, but the words won't come…

And I don't know what to say

          The Zombies, Chris White

__________________________________

 

It is like a silent scream

It builds inside me, filling me until I am stretched

 

Engorged

 

Unable to contain it all and yet

Caught with the unutterable

 

All around me, there is pain, anger, fear, distrust, hate

There are people trusting the deceitful,

living a lie

living without insight or understanding

 

pushing our world into the abyss

of climate change, division, and war

 

I pick it up and carry it

The slide into fascism

The racism

The inhumanity at the border

 

I pick it up and carry it

the pain of those I listen to and counsel

those who come to me with their own fear and pain

 

words spill out

there are always words

but they seem to get lost

 

I speak from the pulpit, and the words twist and vanish

Do they touch hearts?  Heal souls?

In counseling, I seek to say words that will unlock insight,

help people heal themselves (or their relationships)

but do I help?

 

Amid many words, I feel wordless

as if the words needed somehow

don’t come

 

not the right words

not

the kinds words

the healing words

the Spirit Words

 

those, perhaps, are stuck in my throat

in my heart

perhaps those Spirit Words are entangled

in my own inner chaos

 

I know I cannot “fix” the world

that it is not my job to heal people

they have to do that themselves

I am no Jonah, no Isaiah

Who can turn a city, and nation around

 

but I can speak words of love

of hope

of joy

 

I can speak words that open doors,

create space

raise questions

 

For today I will speak to God

I will shout to the skies

I will curse, perhaps

Lament

 

I will cry out for release

and will

try to find the words

to say to all I

I love you


No comments:

Post a Comment