Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Into this Temple come

Come to your Temple here with liberation

And overturn these tables of exchange

Restore in me my lost imagination

Begin in me for good, the pure change.

Come as you came, an infant with your mother,

That innocence may cleanse and claim this ground

Come as you came, a boy who sought his father

With questions asked and certain answers found,

Come as you came this day, a man in anger

Unleash the lash that drives a pathway through

Face down for me the fear the shame the danger

Teach me again to whom my love is due.

Break down in me the barricades of death

And tear the veil in two with your last breath.

          Malcolm Guite

___________________________________________

 

Into this fleshy temple come

O Lord

 

Prepare to toss a few tables

Into the air

Scatter those things that stolidly

Clutter my soul

Hunkering in dark corners

 

Taking up space

Fouling the air

 

It is easy to see

The clutter in other people’s souls

To point the finger and shout

“Hey, look over there!”

 

It is hard to peer into the dark recesses

Of myself

And see the things that lurk

In the darkness

Fouling the air

 

Cleanse me Lord

And I shall be clean

scatter greed, and hate, resentment and fear

with your mighty love

drive out all that impedes my path

 

to the Holy Place

the Holy of Holies

where your reside

there

deep behind the veil

 

Clear the path, rend the curtain

Shine in all your glory

Restore in me, the joy of my salvation

 

Make me a temple in which you reside

And rule

Make me love


No comments:

Post a Comment