Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, June 22, 2024

Christ in us. Or, are we "in Christ"?

Sometimes we think about Christ dwelling in us

It’s a nice thought

The idea of the sacred camping out in our souls!

 

The secret is this !!!

Christ in us

 

But more often than not Paul (and others)

Talk about us being in Christ

 

It’s an interesting dichotomy

Is it more a matter of the transcendent being imminent,

or is it a matter of us participating in

becoming one with

something massively bigger than ourselves?

 

There is a danger in the first concept

Jesus and me!!

Jesus in me

Jesus is mine

It’s all about me!

 

I know we don’t have to go there

But we do!

 

We hear it all the time.

“It could have been awful, but it turned out good!  That’s MY God.”

Yep, God came in and took care of things for me!!

 

There is truth in the reality that the Sacred makes a difference.

But I struggle with the idea

That Sacred chooses to help one person and abandon another

Faith seems to have nothing to do with it.

 

Good faithful people have horrible things happen to them

Awful people flourish.

 

Is it a private collaboration?

 

Or think about the phrase that is often uttered

Sometimes shouted

“God Bless America”

 

God bless US

God bless ME

There is something wrong here.

 

Something that takes us (thank you Brian McLaren)

Into the world of US

It’s us (God and us) against the world!

 

God is in us

With us

For us

And therefore we are protected, blessed, empowered

 

And you?

Not so much

Not if you aren’t one of US

 

How soon we forget it is not about US

Not about our wisdom or righteousness

Not about our creeds

 

It is about Jesus

Who is in ALL, and over ALL

 

And so perhaps it is better to think of Being in Jesus

To see ourselves as participating in something greater

To have our own little (teeny, tiny) selves broken open

Expanded

 

We are part of a whole

All creation

All people

 

We are in Christ

And thus we not only participate in Christ

But in one another

 

It is like a spiritual “big bang”

Where our souls go “boom”

And newness happens

And reality expands outward

And just keeps getting bigger and bigger

 

World without end

Amen

 

I love the idea of being “in Christ”

More than the idea of being “in Christianity”

Or “in Islam” or “in Judaism”

Or

 

(thanks again to Brian McLaren in Why did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road)

 

Yes Christ comes to me

But comes not to merely camp out in my soul

But to break open my soul

 

So that I am open not only to God,

But to all those around me

 

McLaren quotes a Jewish friend who was reflecting on the current situation between Israel and the Palestinians.  He believed that Jesus came to the Jews and that the church was born among Jews.  But that some, in wisdom, understood that Jesus came to blow apart the walls that divide, and thus the faith moved out of the confines of Judaism. 

 

But the key lines in this Jew’s missive were these:  “Jesus as a Jew came as a reformer, as one challenging who “Us” had become.  So that’s why we need Jesus today.  I mean we Jews need Jesus.  Not to become Christians but to become better Jews”

 

I think we need to be in Jesus

To be better Christians too

 

We’ve got too much “me”

Too much “us” in our faith

 

This faith pushes us out of our safe little rooms

Out of our armed encampments

Into the world

 

The Spirit, like wind and fire

Drives us out

To intermingle with all

Welcome all

Work with all

Love all

 

Do I believe Christ is in me?

Yes

But more, I believe I am in Christ

That the Sacred presence I experience connects me

Irrevocably,

To all others

 

And that I must move beyond a concept of “US”

That denies that Jesus is

Over all and through all and in all

 

So help us

God


No comments:

Post a Comment