Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Another Way of Life

I was wandering through Shane Claiborne's amazing good "The Irresistible Revolution" in which he insists that Christians are called to be radicals.  Not super heroes of the the faith, but "ordinary radicals" who in basic, simple, Jesus informed ways live out their faith in this world.

He comments that while most people know what Christians believe, very few know how Christians live, because we have not shown them another way of life.  We just live like everyone else, and sprinkle in a little Jesus here and there.  

But as Christians, we are to live lives that are clearly different, because of our relationship with God.  Our lives are to "shout the Gospel".  

In a world of fear, we are to be about hope
In a world of injustice, we are to be about justice
In a world of greed, we are to be about economic equity and giving

I ran across some people who have developed a little thrift shop to raise money for a helping the poor in their community.  They don't dream that big either.  But I love their motto.  "We plan to change lives, 25 cents at a time!"  (That is the average cost of stuff in their store).  And they are.
 
In this Advent season my goal is to think about how I live
and about how I can be an "ordinary radical"  (Thanks Shane)
and impact the people I meet each day
the community in which I live
(I am not a big enough thinker right now to think I will change my country, or the world :)

Care to join me? 
Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment