Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, September 16, 2017

One step

“One step is better than no steps.”
― Rebecca Brockway quoting 14-year-old son Carlino
____________________________________________

We say it so many times
One step at a time
Left foot, right foot, left foot, breathe

The reality is
For all our plans
And all our fears
For all our hopes

There is only this

The next step, the next choice

So many things try to pull our attention away from
That one step
Our feelings, which we judge
Our thoughts, which are often unhelpful, and even devastating

But if we think about that next step
Just that one!
If we step away from our unhelpful brain
And pay attention

That next step can take us
Closer
To where
To whom
We want to be

This morning was difficult
This day was difficult
My mind hated me
And my body was worse

So I just kept taking steps
One step at a time
Left foot, right foot, left foot, breathe

And I did what I cared about
I walked my dog
And taught a class
And saw people doing amazing things
Learning, growing
Caring for one another

Left foot right foot
And my heart soared
Left foot breathe

Sometimes one step is all you can manage
But one step tends to lead

To another

No comments:

Post a Comment