Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, November 16, 2018

Not so random Acts


“But Jesus accepts what we give, blesses it, breaks it open, and magnifies it. Often in ways that we don’t see or cannot see. Or will not be able to see in this lifetime. Who knows what a kind word does? Who knows what a single act of charity will do? Sometimes the smallest word or gesture can change a life.”
 James Martin, Jesus: A Pilgrimage
_______________________________________

What do I have to give?
Random acts of kindness?
Sporadic is probably a better word.

Momentary lapses into compassion and generosity/
Times when I leave essential selfishness behind, and put others first?

I wonder, if I am honest
If I have contributed all that much during my slow stumbling sojourn
On planet earth

I worry (I am a worrier) about whether I have been for force for good
Or just a person taking up space

I remember, shortly before my father, a family doctor, died of cancer
I had just received my doctorate in theology, and someone, talking to my
Then 5 year old son, was asked how it felt to have a father who was a doctor.

His only frame of reference was Gandpa
And so he answered with brutal honesty.

“It’s OK, but he isn’t the kind of doctor that does anybody any good

Oh, I have had my moments
When I have gotten outside my ego
My fear
My greed

Moments when I reached out with love and generosity

But also far too many other moments when my offerings were small
Contained
Limited

But ah!
Jesus

The one who gently slipped into creation
God’s great gift

The one who held three meager loaves in his hands
And a few random, stinky fish,
And made a banquet

The one who held a poor child in his lap
And made a child of God

O what Jesus does, with whatever we place in his hands
Eagerly, reluctantly,
Doubtfully, faithfully

It matters not
“Jesus accepts what we give, blesses it, breaks it open, and magnifies it”

Our meager gifts
Our reluctant offerings
Touched by holy love become,
Sacred

Our weakness becomes his strength
Our fear his compassion
Our selfishness his generosity

And the world is changed
one action of random kindness at a time


No comments:

Post a Comment