Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, October 3, 2020

essential equality and equity

“Reconciliation occurs between equals.”

                     Curtiss Paul DeYoung,

 

“To reconcile ourselves with one another, we must release our judgments and make peace with the fact that we are one. This country was founded on the ideal that we are all created equal. If we truly believe in the equality of all humankind, how can we put down and belittle one another? How can we disrespect and prejudge one another? How can we come to the point where we malign and hate one another?”

                     John Lewis, Across That Bridge:

 

…these are God’s words: ‘Therefore if your enemy hungers, feed him; if he thirsts, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head’. Don’t allow yourself to be overpowered with evil. Take the offensive—overpower evil by good!

                     Paul (Romans 12, JB Phillips

 

So open your hearts to one another, as Christ has opened his heart to you, and God will be glorified

                     Paul (Romans 15, JB Phillips)

_____________________________________________

 

it is a fundamental choice we must make

will we walk the easy downhill path of retribution

that takes us so quickly

so easily

into the abyss

 

or will we climb that difficult and rock strewn

path or reconciliation

that winds its way up Golgotha to

the foot of the cross

 

we have been warned

it is so obviously clear,

in the light of flaming dumpsters

that if we keep biting and devouring each other

we will destroy each other

 

but still we persist in anger

still we want vengeance

still we face off, across streets

across sanctuaries

across kitchen tables

 

estranged

 

what we need are some eruptions of grace

when captured by love

transformed by love

empowered by love

 

we seek to be reconciled

one to another

 

As Abraham Lincoln, with the shadow of the Civil Warm looming reminded

a divided nation,

 

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies”

 

We must not be enemies

but how on earth can we be friends?

 

We are so far apart

we are so easily enflamed

and so profoundly manipulated by those who would feed

the flames of division

 

where do we start?

 

this morning the journey begins with grace

not with the offering of grace

but with the receiving of grace

 

this morning I must move from that place

where I smugly say “… but I might be wrong”

to that place where I say,  “I have been wrong….”

 

to that place where I start with my own hate, and anger

my own fears, my own greed

my own need to control

 

reconciliation begins with humility

 

I cannot open my heart to another if

at the most basic level, I do not see them as equal

 

I cannot begin the process of reconciliation

if that person, from whom I am estranged

is not inherently as valuable as I

 

I cannot begin to rebuild the bonds of affection

if I do not profoundly embrace my own failures

 

I cannot stand above, I can only stand beside

reconciliation occurs between equal

 

if I would be reconciled to those whom I believe

to have accepted and embraced hate

I must start from the place where I recognize my own hate

 

It’s complicated, of course

how do we deal with those who persistently wound and harm?

how do we deal with those fused to an alternative reality?

 

but even as I write those words

I must return to my own proclivity to wound

and my own tendency “to see what I want to see”

 

Alas!

 

So perhaps I can only pray

Open my heart O Sacred One

 

You have opened your heart to me

You have forgiven me

Embraced me with love

Comforted me

Listened to me

Understood me

 

You have walked with me through my own failure

My own moments, where I have exchanged the “truth for a lie”

 

So as you have opened your heart to me

may I open my heart to those around me

 

not so that I might ‘fix’ them

or “correct” them

or even change them

(since I need fixing, correcting and changing myself)

 

but so that I might hurt with them

cry with them

rejoice with them

hope with them

embrace them

 

so that I might be their friend

 

and with them

stumble, however haltingly

toward the Kingdom

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment