Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, October 20, 2021

I desire love

I desire steadfast love [hesed] and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings”

(Hosea 6:6).

___________________________

 

Ah compassion where did it go?

That divine energy source (Fox) that fuels the Kingdom of God.

Where did it go, that capacity to see “the other” with the eyes of Jesus, with eyes which embrace and love, rather exclude and hate?

 

Has it wandered away?

Or have we sent it into exile, choosing instead the way of conditional love, and meaningless gestures?

 

I was driving along the road the other day, on a day that should have brought me joy.

The sun was bright, the mountains were covered with fresh snow.

As I rounded a corner a bear gamboled by a stream.

 

And yet all I could see were a stream of mammoth motor homes, spewing exhausting into our tired air.

And those flags, everywhere, tacked on walls, flying from flag posts, flapping from poles in the back of pickup trucks.

 

MAGA

 

All that filled my mind were the numbers of Covid-19 cases in our little community,

and the death notices,

and the unmasked faces in the Safeway store,

and the vitriolic calls for “freedom.”

 

And I lost it.

I simply lost the love.

 

For at least a moment I did not have a compassionate bone in my body.

Hesed had fled, not so steadfast after all.

 

And as I drove past an emblazoned house, my hand rose in a salute of disdain.

 

I was filled with so much anger!

And then, suddenly, remorse.

 

Love has a way of breaking through.

 

It suddenly hit me (perhaps it was the Spirit doing a little smiting)

Instead of cursing, I should be blessing

Instead of railing in anger, I should offering love (praying).

 

Hesed

 

Praying for myself, certainly!

That I might understand, might think about the “back story.”

Might have compassion.

Praying that I might see with the eyes of love.

 

But praying too for the other.

Praying that God’s love might penetrate.

That Sacred Presence might break through and make them new,

in whatever way God wants to make them new (it is not up to me).

 

So this day, as I meet that motorhome, I plan to pray!

“Give them traveling mercies, Lord.”

As I pass that emblazoned house.

“God bless this house and all who live in it!”

As I see that person without a mask.

“Protect them Lord! (and all that they meet)”

 

Today is a day for hesed.

For God’s love is everlasting.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment