Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 25, 2022

How big is the E in ego

I made a mistake this morning

Shocking I know!

 

But beyond the mistake of getting up

(sometimes it feels that way)

 

I made the mistake of questioning the “style” of a popular

Christian (left end of the spectrum) influencer.

The point that author had made was excellent, but the whole thing seemed so…  angry

So designed to shock.

 

So I simply stated that while I loved the message I wondered if the

“shock tactics” were necessary.

 

As I said, that was a mistake.

The author pretty much thought I had it wrong.

His followers called me evil, arrogant and judgmental

(all of which may be true)

 

I should have known better.

I did a similar thing several years ago with another popular writer

And got unfriended.

 

Which makes me look at myself.

How much am I like that?

How big is the E in ego?

Am I really ready to hear negative things and take them seriously?

Am I carrying my own “stuff” into my evaluations of others?

 

Today in reading Rachel Held Evans (may she rest in peace and rise in glory)

she made a comment that resonated with me

 

“Liberation is rooted in a profound humility, the ability to say that God is God and I am not.”

 

And she reminds us of just how ugly it gets when we can’t accept our own fallibility.

When we have to realize that what we offer is not perfection

Not bulletproof beliefs

Not brilliant insights (that no one else ever thought of)

But our fallible selves,

And a friendship

a community

 

When instead of accepting our own fallibility

Or that of the other

We attack and defend.

 

“It’s not my fault you don’t see that I’m right”

“You must be … add a favorite adjective

“You are …  add favorite personal attack here…

(I won’t give examples because FB would likely ban me).

 

Fact is we are people who are both / and

Right and wrong

Good and bad

Harsh and loving

Judging and accepting

Prickly and welcoming

 

Those we welcome are the same!

Imperfect

Maybe they bring in their own messes

But they are still people who are precious souls

 

And the freedom to have dialog

The kind of dialog Jesus had with those he met

Only exists when all we fallible souls

Are free to ask hard questions

And willing to listen to hard questions

And willing to live in that tortured place between

 

I want to be right

But I might be wrong

 

To live in that place where we say “tell me more”

Where we pick up the uncertainty and the questions

Rather than banish them

 

and live together in a community

even if that community is a Facebook page

where goodness, humility

and acceptance happen

even in the face of brutality

 

and dialog is a thing

and answers are found

by “fragile, wondering, frightened selves” (RHE)

 

Colossians 3:12- 14   Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.


No comments:

Post a Comment