Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 11, 2022

I keep thinking

I keep thinking of Jesus, peasant child, lying vulnerable among the animals

I keep thinking of Jesus, tiny child, fearful immigrant heading to a strange land.

 

I see Jesus, tempted to use his power to impress and influence

Tempted to thrill the masses

Tempted to grab earthly power

and rejecting the temptation

 

I see Jesus talking to the poor, talking to the rich

Talking to saints, talking to sinners

 

Open, listening, compassionate

Offering a doorway to a new way of life

But no coercion

Just an invitation, to be accepted or not

 

I remember Jesus, humble and mounted on a donkey

While the power of empire entered through another gate

 

And Jesus, vulnerable and anguished, praying

Jesus on trial

Asked unequivocally, “are you the King of the Jews”

 

And answering, “my kingdom is not of this world, if it were

my followers would be assailing this capital, AR-15s in hand”

 

You say I am the King, but I came into the world for this

to reveal the truth

 

And how can I ignore Jesus on the cross

Father forgive them

Today you will be with me

It is finished

 

I see Jesus

Who lived a life of vulnerability, servanthood, compassion, and sacrifice

And said, “THIS IS THE WAY”

 

I wonder what Jesus would think of us.

As we seek to grab political power in his name

As we stack the courts in his name

As we celebrate wealth, in his name

As we exclude others, from our country, from our churches, in his name

As we flourish AR-15s in his name

 

I wonder what Jesus thinks as he watches

those of us who claim his name choose dominion instead of servanthood

Lies over truth

Coercion over compassion

 

I wonder

 

Lord have mercy on us

Who have lost their way

 

“Brightest and best of the sons of the morning

Shine on our darkness, lend us thy aid”

 


No comments:

Post a Comment