Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, March 21, 2022

moral is a thing

That is just “immoral”!!!

When was the last time you heard those words?

Seriously!

When was the last time you heard a politician,
or the media say
flat out, with no reservation,
“That is immoral!”

Perhaps part of the problem is we don’t have
a concept of morality and immorality

what is right, and what is wrong?
I am not sure we know

is all about personal freedom and preference
I have the right to do what I want to do
and no one has the right to tell me otherwise

I have the right to believe what I want to believe
and it doesn’t matter what the facts are
my opinion is as important (or more so) than the facts

what is immoral?

I suppose that is a big discussion
but this is the simplest definition I can think of

“something that negatively alters the life of another person (or even yourself”

if I gossip about another person, damaging their reputation
if I intimidate another person, creating fear
if I lie to another person, misinforming them
if I act, or fail to act, in such a way that creates harm to another

that is immoral

we live in a world that has decided, to a great degree,
to ignore morality

and we act immorally, all the time
(at least I do)

and there are very few consequences (except to our souls)

so here is my thought for this day

Immorality is negatively impacting another person’s life
Morality is positively impacting another person’s life

This is not an earth-shattering insight
It is simple
Perhaps simplistic

But it seems right
and do we not find this basic concept everywhere
in the teachings of Jesus and his followers?

love your neighbor as yourself
do not call another a “fool” (ouch)
be light
be salt
don’t be angry
on and on it goes

So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another (Ephesians 4:25)

Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29)

Therefore encourage one another and build up each other… (I Thessalonians 5:11)

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3-4)

on and on it goes

don’t tear down, build
don’t minimize, don’t diminish,

do no harm!!

we should not be afraid of morality
we don’t have to be rigid, legalistic, and rule-oriented to be moral
we don’t have to be arrogant or pious

we just have to be kind

people who walk through life aware of the other
concerned about the other
and seeking to help the other

while trying to avoid those words, attitudes, and behaviors that
wound others
or put them at risk

it is that simple
and that complex

No comments:

Post a Comment