Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, April 24, 2022

Lament on the path of praise

"Walk your walk of lament on a path of praise."

          Rainer Maria Rilke

 

"we live with a wondrous mixture of well and woe"

          Julian of Norwich

_____________________________

 

it seems surreal at times

how this world is such a much

of beauty and ugliness

kindness and cruelty

well and woe

 

at home, I sit nestled in the snow-covered mountains

far from the maddening crowd

protected

 

on this day I sit among palms

in a place where fantasy is celebrated

in vacation mode

 

and yet somewhere war is happening

tanks rolls

aggressors attack

a country is threatened

 

somewhere dark children starve

winds blow

fires rage

 

even under the surface

of our skins

this struggle exists

joy and pain intermingle

in our hearts, our souls

our minds are conflicted

 

and yet despite the struggle

we walk through each day

left foot, right foot, left foot, breathe

 

do we feel guilty about our safety

it is wrong that we simply go through the motions

each day?

 

we are asked to walk our lament

on the path of praise

 

to have lament

to be aware

not closed off to the pain of the world,

 

but also not unaware of blessing

not closed to joy

 

for our ability to lament

and act

to work for change

to stand and speak

 

must come out of praise

must come out of a profound connection with Sacred

and a fierce belief in Love

and a willingness to live love fiercely

 

most every day

mirth and mourning go together

 

this day I will enjoy the beauty around me

and I will all my heart to hurt at the war in Ukraine

 

this day I will celebrate my children’s and grandchildren’s safety

and mourn the threats to those children

caught in the midst of war

struggling in a world of drought and famine

trapped in abusive homes

 

I cannot close my eyes

but neither can I allow myself to

be overwhelmed by the grief

for grief and mourning by themselves

defeat us

we need to hear the promise

“you will not be overcome”

 

and know that we can trust Love

in well and woe

No comments:

Post a Comment