Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, March 23, 2023

Original Blessing

"And now, with God’s help, I shall become myself..."

          Søren Kierkegaard

 

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell

I know right now you can't tell

But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see

A different side of me

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

I know right now you don't care

But soon enough you're gonna think of me

And how I used to be

          Rob Thomas (Matchbook 20)

_______________________________

 

we hear it all the time

I am

I am broken

I am a sinner

I am an alcoholic or an addict

I am

 

but the real question is,

“Who am I?”

Do you know

Do you care?

Do I even know who I really am?

 

I believe in original blessing

that we come into this world

stuffed with Sacred

 

look at a child

any child

even children who, from a human perspective

with syndromes and other challenges

 

look at a child

look deep into their eyes

and you will see

God

or if not God

a stairway to heaven

there

in those eyes

 

I have gone through I lot in life

I had wonderful parents, healthy siblings

Privilege, and safety

 

I was gifted with reasonable looks

Moderate size

Decent intelligence

 

I have been educated beyond all reason

 

I have also made horrible mistakes

and have allowed an overactive and anxious brain

to haunt me

 

I have stumbled through 70-plus years

doing good, doing bad

helping and hurting

being moral and being a mess

eating well, and eating poorly

compensating for my bully brain in ways

that damaged and eroded soul, mind, and body

 

and here I am

wondering, as I look in the mirror at this sagging body

wondering as my soul stumbles as much as my feet

and my brain replays all the lowlights of my life

who I am

 

when was I most who “I am”

when was I optimal?

the closest to the divine blessing

the original intent?

 

I don’t know

I can remember a time when I was healthy

Young

Flexible

Cute

Relatively undamaged

Confident

Happy

Hopeful

 

At least I think I can!

How old was I

Before I started to pick up the garbage

That I have hauled around for so long?

 

The thoughts and feelings,

The memories

That cling and burden

And twist and distort?

 

That leave me saying

“I am not enough”

“I am not loved”

“I have made too many mistakes, and am not respected”

“I have nothing to say”

“I am only liked for what I can do, not for who I am”

(Perhaps you know the litany?)

 

How old was I before those years when I drank to me

And now, these times when I eat too much

Hammered my body

Until now everything hurts, and what doesn’t hurt doesn’t work?

 

I can picture myself

Five?

Six?

Older?

 

And as I do I remember Jesus, talking to another

Wrinkled gnome of a soul, Nicodemus

Another soul deeply imprisoned by his head

Out of tune with his heart and saying

 

You must be born again

(which means you must be born from above)

 

You must open yourself again to Sacred Love

Be filled again, even if you leak

With God’s presence

 

You must once again see yourself as a child of God

A child

twisted, humped, wrinkled, white-bearded, but a child

one in whom the Sacred shines through

one with bright eyes, looking forward into the future

one still grown

still improving

on the way

 

one God can look at as see God’s self

the image

reflected back

 

one with eyes, full of love and hope

acceptance and welcome

In heaven (perhaps) there will be only five-year-old eyes (Michel Quoist)

 

I do not want to see myself

As old

Battered

Twisted, withered, dried, hard

 

I want to see myself as a Sacred child

Forever (in all the ways that count) young

 

“Alleluia!

Alleluia!

Open, all of you, little old creatures

It is I, your God, the eternal, risen from the dead, coming to bring back to life the child in you.

 

Hurry! Now is the time. I am ready to give you again the beautiful face of a child, the beautiful eyes of a child.

 

For I love youngsters and I want everyone to be like them!”   (Michel Quoist, Pr

No comments:

Post a Comment