Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, June 12, 2023

No and Yes

I have often been told that when one first turns to God, one is greeted with brilliant Yes answers to prayers.  For a long time, this was true for me.  But then, when God has you hooked, God starts to say No.  But it has been more than a No answer lately; after all, No it is an answer.  It is the silence, the withdrawal that is so devastating.

          Madeleine L’Engle  (The Irrational Season, p. 173)

 

In a world full of jive

Full of homicide and suicide

There's no room for love and romance

In a world full of spite

Full of hatefulness and bitterness

Sincerity don't stand a chance

And every night I close my eyes

And ask the stars above

Oh where, oh where, oh where, oh where is love?

          Lyrics by Jay Davies, sung by the Kinks

________________________________

 

I love “yes”

Do you love me?  Yes!

Is it time for dinner?  Yes!

 

I love it when all things work together for God

When life is full of Sacred yeses

 

When the sanctuary is full

When my relationships are working

When I am affirmed for what I do

When I am valued for who I am

 

God is full of “Yes”

Every sunrise and sunset is a “yes”

Every smile, every laugh!

Every “thank you”

 

The joy on an old woman’s face when I show up to visit, perhaps her first visitor in a week, is a “yes”

 

I love it when it feels like Sacred is saying “yes”

 

But there are so many moments of “No”

 

I am never quite sure if they are really “No”

Or merely “not yet”

Or even a “redirect”

 

I am not sure if certain moments are God’s “no” or

Simply the “no” of human creatures getting in the way of God’s “yes”

 

But there are truly times

When the deepest yearnings of my heart

Go unfulfilled

And times when it seems, I am not allowed to escape the pain and loss

Times when I cannot avoid or deflect.

 

There are other times when God simply seems silent

When prayer feels, literally, like praying to a stone wall.

 

Even Jesus had such moments

In Gethsemane

He asked God to “take this cup from me”

 

The answer was “no”

 

On the cross, God seemed silent!

“My God, My God why have you forsaken me!”

 

But out of God’s “no” to Jesus, came a great “yes”

The resurrection

And past the silence was a grand reunion of parent and child

The joyful dance of the Trinity united

 

How often I have found that I needed the “no” to get to the “yes”

And how often I have found that God’s silence is not merely silence

But simply the still small voice of the Sacred

The whispers of the divine, being drowned out by the noise of the world

 

There are times I do not understand

When the “no” seems simply like “no”

When my father died of cancer, young,

When my mother died of a variant of ALS, young

 

When all my prayers for them went unanswered

I still do not understand why two such wonderful and precious souls

Should have had their lives shortened in that way

While people I see as truly evil seem to go on forever

 

Sometimes God seems truly absent

And I wonder, as fascists thrive and hate proliferates

As the world burns

And justice is denied

Where God is in all of this?

 

I am not one of those who can simply say

“Someday I’ll understand”

 

I have questions.  I want answers

I struggle with trust

 

But life goes on

And history unfolds

And I am left, as was Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

Moses and David

And Jesus

 

Crying into the heated air

“Oh God, into your hands I commend my spirit”

 

Left only with a frail trust

in an eternal “yes”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment