Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, June 28, 2023

in the dark

Weeping may linger for the night,

but joy comes with the morning.

          Psalm 30

 

I was caught in a cycle of worry and anger. I was not just walking a dark path; I had let the darkness inside me. Evil always seeks to obscure the light, because once it has you living in darkness, that which should not be painful becomes so…. 

 

What we forget, faith-wise, in our fear—what I was forgetting that night in my daughter’s room—is that even in the darkest night, when we see no light at all, the light is still there. The sun is still shining over Earth even when our side of Earth rotates away from it. The stars still shine above us, no matter how thick the clouds above our heads. What we need in the darkest nights is to keep walking along the path until we can glimpse the stars again. What we don’t need is to panic and run blindly into the woods. 

          Otis Moss III  (Center for Action and Contemplation, Daily Meditation 6/28/23)

____________________________________

 

It stuns me

Freezes me

Astonishes me

Saddens me

 

It is the picture of Uncle Sam

Face angry

Hand offering a gesture of disrespect and hate

(you know the one)

 

Underneath the words

F@*& Biden!

 

Really?

 

It is the comments

Repeating lies

Making things up

Spewing hate

 

It is the blind, unthinking loyalty

to people who do not deserve such devotion

to the greedy

the liars

the abusers

the predators

be they conservative or liberal

 

it is the division

the violence

desire to control

the lust to eradicate the “enemy”

 

the willful ignorance

that simply accepts the talking points

that supports one’s bias

 

until we are all stumbling along in the dark

 

It stuns me

Freezes me

Astonishes me

Saddens me

This fear

This hate

This darkness

 

Sometimes it feels as if the morning will never come

As if the darkness will smother us

Crushing us

Until the breath of life is gone

 

I want to scream

To lash out

I am confused by people I love and care about

Embracing lies

Supporting what I believe to be evil

(and yes, I know they disagree)

 

I don’t know how to respond

Do I confront?

Do I attempt to correct, to reason (good luck with that!)

 

How can I find understanding when I do not understand?

Do I forgive (duh!)

 

But it all comes down to this

How do I keep walking down the path toward the light

How do I keep loving

How do I dance in the dark

 

It must come down to this eventually

 

What do I allow to fill my soul?

Darkness, or Light

Hate, or Love

Despair, or Joy?

 

I believe, Lord, help my unbelief

Help me trust in the morning

In the presence of Love

 

Remind me, as I stumble in the dark

That “Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.”

 

Help me to dance in the dark


No comments:

Post a Comment