Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, July 10, 2023

a worthy thing

Is there an integrity of the person, so intrinsic in its value and significance that no deed, however evil, can ultimately undermine this given thing? If a person is of infinite worth in the sight of God, whether they are saint or sinner, whether they are a good person or a bad person, evil or not, if that is true, then I am never relieved of my responsibility for trying to make contact with this worthy thing in them.

          Howard Thurman, The Growing Edge (New York: Harper & Brothers, 1956), 17–18.

          Note: minor edits made for inclusive language.

___________________________________

 

we are

all of us

both beautiful and terrible

both good and bad

both kind and cruel

 

we have, all of us

done good things and bad things

we have, all of us

been worthy of love, and worthy of disdain

 

I have had my moments when I did

“very good things”

I have had my moments when I have been a jerk

when my kinder angels have been silent

and I have done things that have harmed

 

it is easy to love people when they are being

convenient

it is not as easy when they are hate-filled and illogical

when they side with cruelty

when they are racists, or fascist

 

it is easy to love the volunteer who helps the homeless

it is almost impossible to love the person

who totes an AR-15 into a McDonalds

or worse, into a school

 

there are people it would be all to easy to throw away

into the garbage heap of humanity

 

those who have been despicable

who have created so much harm and misery

the fascist leader

the mass shooter

the leader of the lynch mob

the drunk driver who just wiped out a life

 

the person who hurt us

diminished us

marginalized us

 

I struggle to find the spark of divinity

In such souls

That small remnant of sacred that makes them “worthy”

 

I would like to “ghost” them

Remove them from my life, my world

I would like to savor my disdain

 

And yet I realize that perhaps

to someone else

I am that person

 

I am the one who has hurt

Who has been cruel

Who is “wrong” and harmful

I am the heretic sinner

Who has lost their way

 

There is a “oneness” to humanity

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory

All

 

And in all there is something worthy

God sees it

I need to see it too

It is the hidden treasure

The lost coin

 

And it is my calling to seek until I find

that bit of “worthy” in them

just as I so desperately need for them

to find that bit of “worthy” in me

 

for it is in that search

that we will find oneness

and it is a task

that is never done


No comments:

Post a Comment