Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, November 14, 2023

extended beyond

Rebirth is about being adopted into a new family – without borders…  Jesus is using some strong language to stretch our vision of family and kinship, extending rather than stifling our love. 

          Shane Claibourne

____________________

 

I once read (Tony Campolo) about the principle of least love.

The one who loves the least, has the most power!

 

Scary idea, that!

The idea that if I don’t care about you, but you do care about me,

I have more power over you than you do over me.

Because you will try not to hurt me (after all you love me)

 

But, as for how I treat you?

I just don’t care!  I can treat you poorly, because you don’t count (unless I can use and manipulate you)

 

I’ve been thinking about Christmas.

Yeah, I know, it is not even Thanksgiving!

But I have a Christmas Eve Service to prepare, and so I have been pondering

 

What can I say in this time of darkness!

“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness— on them light has shined?”

 

Yeah!  But…

 

It doesn’t feel as if those words are real!

I believe that they are, or will be.

But we still seem to be sliding into darkness

Into one of those episodic dark moments when hate has the upper hand

 

In such a time how do we make Christmas real?

I keep thinking about Jesus

And I think perhaps the key is keeping Christmas Weird

And keeping Jesus Weird

 

We can’t domestic Christmas, nor the One who came

(although we try)

 

If anything is obvious about Jesus

It is that he came to tear down walls.

He came to tear down the wall between people and God/the Sacred

He came to tear down the walls between people

 

Paul makes this perfectly clear when he writes

“For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us”  (Ephesians 2:14)

 

We see it from the beginning!

Where is Jesus born? Among the animals! 

Who attends his birth? 

The poor.  The dirty. The rejected.  The unimportant

Strangers, immigrants, heretics (The Magi)

 

When he does this ministry, who does he gather around him?

With whom does he “break bread.”

Pretty much everyone!

Fishermen.  Farmers. Tax Collectors. Soldiers

Pious prigs.  The entitled rich.

 

And what does he teach?

He teaches, in so many ways, love

Sometimes he just says it.  “Love your neighbor!”

 

But Jesus also realized that we are experts

At narrowing our love down.  Or to put it another way, building walls.

That we define our “neighbor” in such a way as to exclude.

 

So sometimes he said things that shocked and confused.

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.”

 

Wait! What?

 

Love your enemies!

Bless those who curse you.

Does Jesus really expect us to hate our own family

And love people who want to destroy us, or deny our reality?

Those who want to harm us or control us?

 

Seriously?

 

What Jesus is saying (I think)

Is that when we are reborn, we have a new family

The family of God

And (as Claibourne insists) this new kinship EXTENDS our love to include everyone

We have a new family

That includes everyone!

 

But we can’t get to this new extended family unless

At some level, we die to our old definition of family

 

So I have a family.  My biologically family

But I have to die to the idea that is my true, my primary family

I have my faith family, my ideological family, my tribal family (nation, party)

 

But all those definitions of family

Are limited

They limit my family to those like me, or those I like

 

And we must let them go, in order to embrace a family that is “broader than biology… deeper than nationalism”

 

Right now, we have people, a movement

That is pushing us toward division, toward defining our “family” along hard lines

Toward a narrow, tribal, fearful definition of family that calls on people to hate.  To exclude.  To reject. To control. To suppress. To use and manipulate

To dehumanize

 

This is the antithesis of what Jesus taught

 

Unless one hates one’s (let’s count this down here)

Ideology

Tribe (nation)

Political party

Political leaders

Personal rights and wealth

Church (religion?)

Extended family

Biological family

One’s own life….

 

Unless one is willing (to put it another way)

To let go of all those allegiances and have one allegiance

To love

And one family, the family created by Sacred love

 

We have no part of Jesus

 

The bottom line is this

Our earthly allegiances create a narrowness that stands in the way of God’s vision and justice and denies the Kin-dom of God

 

This Christmas, in this pluralistic time

We are called to die to the divisions we embrace (and even cherish)

And become born again

Into a new family

A messy family

The family of God


No comments:

Post a Comment