Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, November 14, 2016

Moral Indignation

“There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive feeling as 'moral indignation,' which permits envy or hate to be acted out under the guise of virtue.”
                              Erich Fromm, Man for Himself: An Inquiry into the Psychology of Ethics
____________________________________________

I have to say
The air is full of moral indignation

I am full of it
As I am morally repelled by Trump
And disgusted by Comey
Who is a lie unto himself

I am ill when I think of the voter repression that is going on
In GOP states

And it is my excuse to hate
Hate them all
Hate them with the fervor of the righteous

But my moral indignation must be tempered
By looks in the mirror
At myself, and the times too numerous to county
When my life has not be marked by virtue
When I too have been seduced by power and success
And by a need, as with Trump, to be adored

My moral indignation must take into accounts my own ills
And those too of those I support.
I must remember that Hillary has not spoken out against Dakota Access
And the injustice visited upon Native Americans

It is a daunting task
To ask but what of this do I own?
How have I contributed to what is going on?
How have I been wrong?
How has my side been wrong?

Politicians can’t do it well
Nations do it poorly (think 911)
The church is perhaps the worst
Seeing oppression and exclusion of others as religious freedom (which is it not)

Perhaps we can’t really do
Perhaps we are truly doomed
To clothe our hatred as virtue

But we can always try
To look at the self in the mirror
We can always try

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment