Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, November 26, 2016

fear choices

“love of the truth puts you on the spot.”  We might have some romantic view of what that means, but when we are nailed with the truth, we suffer.  We look in the bathroom mirror, and there we are with our pimples, our aging face, our lack of kindness, our aggression and timidity – all that stuff.

This is where tenderness comes in.  When things are shaky and nothing is working, we might realize that we are on the verge of something.  We might realize that this is a very vulnerable and tender place, and that tenderness can go either way. We can shut down and feel resentful or we can touch in on that throbbing quality. 

It’s a kind of testing, the kind of testing that spiritual warriors need in order to awaken their hearts.
                                                          Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart (pp. 7,8)
_____________________________

We have been nailed with the truth
That the heart of our nation is imprisoned by fear
And hate
And greed

And like the people of Israel, who,
confronted with slavery behind them,
And a life of being controlled and manipulated

And a unknown land in front of them
That would challenge and stretch them,
But eventually take them to the land of promise

Mumbled and moaned
And cried to the heavens,

“we want to go back to Egypt”

If they had been a democracy, that is exactly what they would have done
They would have voted to go back to Egypt

We have chosen, out of fear
To go back

And so we look in the mirror
and we are nailed with the truth
about who we are

it is not pretty

This is a
Vulnerable and tender place

I would like so much to just shut down
And live in resentment

But I for one cannot go back to Egypt
There are too many vulnerable people out there
Too many immigrants
Too many people who are LGBTQI
Too many people who are poor
And mentally ill
And oppressed
And minimized

Too many people who need health care, and housing
And an education
And safety

And I cannot abandon them
To the powers of greed
And hate

So I will get up this morning
And I will prepare my heart
And I will go deep into my soul
Where my leader, the Sacred One dwells

And I will get my marching orders
And then I will go forth
And continue to march forward
With my heart awake

Hurting
Aching
But awake

And do what I can

I do not know what our country giving this person
Power will mean
I do not know

I have to let there be room in my heart for “not knowing”
And in that space I have to work
Helping, caring, comforting,
Forgiving, working for justice
Picking up, protecting the needy

I have to keep going on that crazy march into the desert
For I have no ability
To go back to Egypt

I would rather die in the desert, without a country
(and that is how it feels this morning, as if my country is no more)
Striving for what is right

Than to go back to Egypt
And side with prejudice, fear, hatred
Arrogance and oppression
And submit to the way of the Pharaoh
Who knows not God

So I will keep going
On that crazy march toward the place
To which God calls us
That place where women are treated with respect
And the vulnerable are protected not oppressed
And the hurting are comforted not shamed

I will keep going
I can do no other


No comments:

Post a Comment