Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Soaking up God

“Astonishing material and revelation appear in our lives all the time. Let it be. Unto us, so much is given. We just have to be open for business.”
Anne Lamott, Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers
_______________________________________

how does God come?
when do we see the presence of the Sacred?

I was thinking today about being
“open for business” as Anne Lamott puts it

and since I believe that the key to our spiritual lives
is our understanding that the sacred is everywhere
and in everyone
and that spiritual practice is primarily “practicing the presence”

and since I believe the goal of spirituality should be union, communion
not perfection

and since I believe a healthy spirituality moves us from seeing others
as threats whom we must lessen (in order to protect what we have or get what we need)
since in a non spiritual world people do not share and thus there is not enough (even though there is)

to seeing others as those who share the sacred with us
and as those to be loved (OK, I am digressing)

I believe we must always have eyes wide open for the astonishing material
and revelation the sacred sends our way

I have tended to expect God moments to have some flair!
at least a little!  you know, pillars of fire, angel choruses

what I sometimes forget is that the love touches of the sacred come in many ways
waking up after surgery (without nausea)
well actually, just waking up
finding after two short days that pain is already no longer in my face

I am also re-learning even normal things are kind of miraculous
swallowing (which is still not easy) is an amazing thing
the complexity of a body – and the interconnection of all the parts
cat love
home
having out “big doe” greet us as we enter the drive

so as I slow down for a while
not by choice, but perhaps by someone’s design
it will soak up the moments
and soak up God

No comments:

Post a Comment