Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, January 5, 2017

Seeing the Sacred

Why did Jesus come? Jesus did not come to change the mind of God about humanity. It didn't need changing. God has organically, inherently loved what God created from the moment God created it. Jesus came to change the mind of humanity about God.

As our image of God changes, our image of God’s creation, including ourselves, changes as well.
                                                                                                     Richard Rohr, Daily Blog, 1/4/17
___________________________________________________________________

How do I see the Sacred?
That’s a tough question

Where do I see the Sacred?
Even tougher.

But the answer to the second question profoundly shapes
my answer to the first!

I do find God in the writings of people from days gone by
in the Bible, yes
In the realization that in Genesis one, as the Sacred views
Creation God says, over and over again,
“It was good”  even “It was very good”

If find God in the words of the angels at Christmas
Where it is proclaimed that God is sending a gift to human
“with whom God is pleased” (yes, it really says that!)

I see God in other writings too
The words of people like Thich Naht Hanh
And Francis of Assisi, and in the glorious poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins

I see God in frigid winter mornings
As the snow sparkles like jewels
And in the warm summer mornings as the sun blazes orange
It see Sacred Presence in the gold tamaracks, nestled among the deep green
of firs and pines

I see it in a horse leaping
a cat playing

I hear the sacred in Coyotes laughing and Owls
Hooting in the dark.

And I believe, thus
In Sacred as Love
And believe in original blessing
That we were created good, and loving and kind

And I believe, that as we connect with Sacred Presence
We can return to what we were created to be
No matter how far we have strayed

And if I believe that God loves me
And if I believe that God loves you
And it I believe we all carrying original blessing

Then I must be changed

And no matter how easy it is to move to fear
And anger
Not matter how easy it is to believe in wealth and power

I must always return
Again and again
To love
And forgiveness
And compassion
And generosity

Evil is challenging, as I don’t know what to do with it
I struggle with those who chose power and wealth over people

But I must return to love
And I must work, not to accept evil
Or collude with it

But to fight it
with the tools of love

No comments:

Post a Comment