Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, April 28, 2018

insight, not for the faint of heart


“I used to say to my classes that the ways to get insight are: to study infants; to study animals; to study primitive people; to be psychoanalyzed; to have a religious conversion and get over it; to have a psychotic episode and get over it; or to have a love affair with an old Russian. And I stopped saying that when a little dancer in the front row put up her hand and said, 'Does he have to be old?”
                                                                         Margaret Mead
_______________________________________________

There are many ways to come awake
Or to be “woke”
As they say today

But mostly it is a matter of looking
Listening
Observing
Interacting

It is a matter of noticing how you feel
How you respond to things
What thoughts go roaring through your head

When you experience something
See something
Hear something

Here is the thing
If, as I go through life, I keep my focus “out there”
On them,
Then I don’t have to look at myself

But if I am willing to return to me
And to that inner life
That voice, that feeling
Then I learn amazing things

Not always good things
Sometimes, in fact, ugly things

But still I learn
And insight is a good thing

But not the only thing
Then you have to respond to it

Really, I mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment